Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Environmental Autobiography

    When I was younger the backyard creek was our everyday play place and a new world in itself. It was in this place where, my brother, friends and I created imaginary and whimsical worlds in which we relished in the creek’s natural beauty and wildlife. The creek epitomized everything that I loved, it had an abundance of animals, the water was pristine, and its solitary location allowed the sounds of nature to resonate through the air. We often journeyed down to the creek to explore its streams and catch craw fish, newts, tadpoles, and minnows, but, this all ended a few years ago. The once intriguing and vibrant creek became murky and polluted. The animals that called this creek home were now scarce and trash was scattered across the water’s banks. As the years progressed the beauty of the creek slowly diminished, and even now it is nothing more than a muddy and shallow stream of water, that no longer flows vigorously, but trickles lazily. I love the creek and, it is and will always be a vital location in my life. Exploring the creek and the nature that it harbors has fostered my great love for animals. The diverse wildlife ignited the passion I have for all creatures, especially reptiles, so the dilapidation of this iconic location has made me realize what we are doing to our planet, and maybe even what I can do to help. I guess it is true what they say, “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.”

1 comment:

  1. Jamal! Chill! That post was too fye! That is exactly the type of reflection that I want! Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to truly reflect on your surroundings, the past, and its influences. You are going to do awesome in this class. Thank you for being patient in that confusing first week. As soon as things get smoothed out, its going to be awesome. You are going to love the field trip we take in the spring up in Roswell. We get to get in the Chattahoochee and do water testing including collecting of invertebrate wildlife (crawdads) to determine water quality...

    ReplyDelete